As a lean, high-quality protein source, salmon is a popular choice for healthy meal prepping. Far from being boring, utilizing this delicious fish in different ways can keep your meals interesting and flavorful all week long.
Obviously the first step is to find the highest quality salmon available in your area. The best type of salmon for cooking is wild-caught Alaskan salmon. In any case, it should be as fresh as possible.
There are countless ways to prepare salmon, all of which are healthy. From pan-searing to grilling to tacos… below, we’ve got five different recipes for you to try this week!
Grilled Salmon Teriyaki
The best way to grill salmon is on a cedar plank. Cedar plank grilling imparts a delicate smoky flavor to the fish and helps keep it moist. First, the cedar plank should be soaked in water for 30 minutes. Then, the salmon should be placed on the plank skin-side down. The plank should then be placed on the grill and cooked for about 10-15 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through.
-1/2 cup soy sauce
-1/4 cup honey
-3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
-4 salmon filets (6 to 8 ounces each)
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon ground ginger
-green onions, optional
1. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, and 2 tablespoons of oil. Place salmon in a large resealable bag. Pour soy sauce mixture over salmon, making sure to coat all of the filets. Seal bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 12 hours.
2. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together garlic powder, ginger, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Rub mixture over salmon filets.
4. Grill salmon for 6 to 8 minutes per side, until cooked through.
5 garnish with chopped green onions
How to Make Salmon Burgers
Salmon burgers are a healthy, delicious, and easy alternative to traditional burgers. Not only are they a great way to use up leftover salmon, but they can also be tailored to fit any diet. This recipe is for a basic salmon burger, but feel free to get creative with your toppings!
-1 pound cooked salmon, flaked
-1/2 cup bread crumbs
-1/4 cup diced onion
-1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
-1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
-1/4 cup olive oil
-4 hamburger buns
1. In a large bowl, combine salmon, bread crumbs, egg, onion, parsley, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
2. Shape mixture into four patties.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
4. Serve on hamburger buns with your favorite toppings.
How to Buy and Prepare Salmon for Sushi
The first step in making sushi is to buy the freshest fish possible. When selecting a salmon filet, make sure that it is pink and has a shiny skin. The flesh should be firm and there should be no brown patches. Avoid buying salmon that smells fishy or has black spots. (If you’re not sure, check out this article: How to Know if Salmon is Bad).
Salmon is the best fish for sushi because it is fatty and has a mild flavor. It is also relatively easy to prepare. First, remove the skin and any pin bones from the filet using tweezers. Then, cut the salmon into 1-inch cubes.
To prepare the sushi rice, combine 1 cup of uncooked sushi rice with 1 1/2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let it sit for another 10 minutes.
To make the sushi rolls, place a nori sheet on a bamboo mat. Wet your hands and spread a thin layer of rice over the nori. Place the salmon cubes in the center of the rice, then roll the bamboo mat up tightly. Repeat until all of the ingredients are used up.
Slice the sushi rolls into 1-inch pieces and serve with soy sauce and wasabi paste.
How To Make Salmon Tacos
Here’s a variation on Taco Tuesday that the whole family will love. Feel free to experiment with ingredient combinations to find the most “bueno” taco this side of the Rio Grande!
-1 pound salmon, skinless and deboned
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 teaspoon chili powder
-1 teaspoon smoked paprika
-½ teaspoon cumin
-½ teaspoon salt
-1 tablespoon lime juice
-8 small corn tortillas
-1 cup cilantro, chopped
-1 avocado, diced
-1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a bowl, mix together olive oil, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin and salt. Rub the mixture all over the salmon.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
4. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing into small cubes.
5. In a small skillet over medium-high heat, warm the tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side.
6. Assemble tacos by spooning some of the cilantro, avocado and salmon onto each tortilla, and top with a sprinkle of jalapeño if desired. Enjoy!
How To Make Blackened Salmon
If you like your salmon with a bit of heat, kick it up a notch with this delicious variation on Cajun Cuisine.
-1/2 cup of brown sugar
-1/4 cup of paprika
-1/4 cup of chili powder
-1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
-1 teaspoon of cumin
-1 teaspoon of garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon of salt
-1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
-1/4 cup of olive oil
-2 pounds of salmon filets
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
3. In a large baking dish, pour in the olive oil and spread it around evenly.
4. Place the salmon filets in the dish, and sprinkle the spice mixture over top of them.
5. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through.
6. Serve immediately.
Salmon Side Dish Suggestions
Any side dish for your salmon is fine, but these three below pair particularly well with this tasty fish.
Black Bean and Corn Salad: This dish is packed with protein and fiber, making it a healthy and satisfying choice.
Grilled Vegetables: Grilling veggies is a great way to cook them without adding unhealthy fats. Try skewering tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and zucchini for a colorful and delicious dish.
Cauliflower Rice: If you’re looking for a low-carb option, cauliflower rice is a great choice. It’s simple to make; just grate cauliflower florets into rice-sized pieces and sauté in olive oil until tender.
How to Cook Salmon – Conclusion
There are many delicious and healthy salmon recipes that can easily be prepared for dinner. In this article, we’ve shared five of our favorite recipes with you. We would love to hear which one of these dishes sounds the most appetizing to you. Or tell us about your own family favorite recipe by leaving a comment below or tagging us on social media. Enjoy!